Discover the Benefits of (PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma) and PRFM Treatments in Chicago!
Platelet-rich plasma is a natural rejuvenating product created in your own body. Platelets accelerate healing of damaged skin tissue and stimulate growth of new cells. PRP therapy has been around since the 1970s. As the benefits of PRP therapy have become more evident over the last 20 years, it’s been applied in dentistry, reconstructive surgery, orthopedics, pain management, sports medicine and many other fields, and is available now at Old Town Med Spa in Chicago to help heal your skin from the inside out so you can start looking as young as you feel!
What is PRP?
An increasingly popular treatment in the aesthetic industry, platelet-rich plasma is used by many practices to help stimulate the skin’s natural healing process and rejuvenate aging skin using your body’s own resources. While we offer traditional PRP at Old Town Med Spa, we also offer the latest innovation in this type of therapy – PRFM treatments.
Like PRP, PRFM solution is created from a small blood sample drawn at your appointment. The sample is then spun in a centrifuge to separate your red and white blood cells from your platelets.
The resulting plasma will be highly concentrated and rich in the protein fibrin, which can have several times the healing value of the original blood sample. This natural solution will then be applied locally after PRP or injected into targeted areas for better healing.
For most clients, the plasma regenerates damaged skin tissue and encourages collagen growth. Many patients report good results within a few weeks with gradual improvement over time. PRFM supports and protects platelets at the injection site so that they keep releasing their growth agents.
The desired results of PRFM treatment include the following:
- Improved tightness, tone, texture and overall skin quality
- Natural smoothing of wrinkles
- Softening of sun damage
- Increased volume and fullness in sagging skin, facial indentations and the hollows of your eyes
- Increase hair growth in the scalp
Who Should Not Have PRP Treatment?
- Patients with history of heavy smoking, drug and alcohol use. Medical diagnosis such as platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenias, hypofibrinogenaemia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and chronic Infections, chronic liver disease, anti-coagulation therapy, chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders.
How Does PRP Work?
- Human blood contains mesenchymal stem cells, and autologous blood products that contain essential and specific growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing. Published medical literature from Europe and the United States confirms the safety and use of PRP therapy. It has been used a medial adjunct therapy for over two decades for skin and wound healing. PRP therapy has established itself to be effective as a medical treatment modality in the specialty fields of oral surgery, neurosurgery, plastic and cosmetic surgery, sports medicine and orthopedics. It has been used extensively in these specialties for the last twenty years with generally positive outcomes and success. In the field of hair restoration, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment option to promote hair growth.
How Do You Perform the Procedure?
- Blood is drawn in our office as though you are having routine blood testing at your primary care physician’s office. The blood is spun in a centrifuge and the PRP is separated and removed from the rest of the blood.
- The PRP is taken from your body and is specially prepared by spinning down the blood cells to a high concentration. The highly concentrated platelet rich plasma (PRP) is then injected into the scalp or into the treatment area. No sedation or any medication is given during the procedure to inhibit the ability to drive or use machinery.
PRFM injections take short time, and pain is minimal. In Old Town MedSpa we do our best to make our patient comfortable and keep the pain to minimum by applying local anesthetic creams and local injectable anesthesia. As with any injection, you may experience temporary discomfort like redness, itching, slight swelling or mild bruising. These minor irritations usually disappear in a short time. There’s no need to take time off work or cancel other activities. Since the PRFM solution is created from your own blood, it contains no synthetic or animal products. Risk of allergic reaction or unpleasant side effects is virtually nonexistent.
Drs. Nael Gharbi and Shazel Gharbi, both board certified, recommend a series of regularly spaced treatments. The needed number of injections depends on the condition of your skin and your personal improvement goals.
Contact Old Town Med Spa and Old Town Med Spa at Lincoln Park
To arrange a consultation, call or stop by one of our two Chicago offices today. You may also request a call from our staff, learn more about us or get directions here on our website.
Achieving a more youthful appearance can make all the difference in self-esteem, poise and motivation. We are committed to helping you feel more comfortable in your own skin. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about PRP and PRFM!